Histology Technician - Anatomic Pathology - Full Time - Days
ProMedica Toledo Hospital is one of the largest acute-care facilities in the region. Our 794-bed hospital is staffed by more than 4,800 professional healthcare employees who serve a 27-county area throughout northwest Ohio and southeast Michigan. We also have the area’s largest board-certified medical staff, which is made up of more than 1,000 primary care and specialty physicians. Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment are a must. In addition, for 15 consecutive years, residents of Greater Toledo have named us the Consumer Choice Award winner in our market. In fact, we’re the only hospital in northwest Ohio to receive this honor.
Registers surgical specimens in laboratory computer system. Assists during FNA or other specimen collection events, as needed. Performs frozen section specimen management and slide preparation for the pathologist. May travel to alternate sites to assist.
1. Accessions surgical specimens which includes entering patient demographics, clinical history, specimen source and quality assurance information to laboratory information system. Labels specimen containers, patient requisitions, cassettes and slides with assigned accession number with a high degree of accuracy.
2. Performs all routine tissue and/or frozen section preparation, slide preparation and staining using established departmental policies and procedures.
3. Supports hospital procedures which require the presence of a histology technician, including FNAs, Bone Marrows, EUS, EBUS, Renal and muscle biopsies, and other areas where needed. Periodically assists at other ProMedica Locations; travel required.
4. Accepts telephone calls pertaining to specimens and calls from other departments and doctor’s offices. Transfers telephone calls to appropriate section if knowledge is limited. Communicates concerns to appropriate associates maintaining patient confidentiality. Utilizes the phone to contact physicians’offices regarding patient information and specimen preparation.
5. Utilizes laboratory and hospital computer information systems to accession, and order specimens received and track surgical specimens.
6. Recognizes equipment malfunctions and notifies appropriate personnel. Maintains instrumentation/equipment.
7. Performs quality control procedures established in the laboratory.
8. Maintains established hospital and departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
9. Complies with requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies by attending mandatory in-services and continuing laboratory education and participating in continuous quality improvement.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
- Skills: N/A
- Years of Experience: Previous experience not required, training will be provided.
- License: Valid Driver’s License.
- Certification: N/A
- Education: Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree.
- Skills: N/A
- Years of Experience: N/A
- License: N/A
- Certification: N/A
- Personal Protective Equipment: Must be prepared to wear when necessary.
- Requests to Travel: From time to time, Employee may be requested to work at a different location (site) to assist with specimen management. For this travel request, based on availability, the Employee may have the use of a company-owned vehicle or will use their personal vehicle. In either circumstance, the Employee agrees with and follows the Travel and Expense Reimbursement Policy, Corporate Policy Number CP2.01, specifically as to liability insurance on personal vehicle and as to mileage reimbursement. NOTE: Driver’s license and insurance will be checked initially and then annually for verification of eligibility.
- Use of Company Vehicle: A company vehicle may be available for the Employee to use. If the Employee uses a company vehicle, no mileage will be paid. If a company vehicle is unavailable, then the Employee will be expected to use their own vehicle and be reimbursed for mileage. Lack of a company vehicle will not be accepted as a reason to not travel to another work location.
- Use of Personal Vehicle: If the Employee chooses to use their own vehicle, the mileage should be appropriately tracked and submitted as defined in CP2.01.
- Physical Demands: Must be able to tolerate exposure to disease bearing specimens, odorous chemicals, carcinogens mutagens, low-level radiation, electrical hazards and flammable liquids. Must be able to move about laboratory and between workstations. Must be able to occasionally move, lift and/or carry lightweight materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds up to 5% of the time.
ProMedica is a mission-based, not-for-profit integrated healthcare organizational headquartered in Toledo, Ohio. For more information, please visit www.promedica.org/about-promedica
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex/gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, familial or marital status, genetics, or any other legally protected category. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a job with ProMedica, please contact email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace
My Saved Jobs
You have no saved jobs.