Respiratory Care Assistant - Respiratory Care - Per Diem - Variable
ProMedica's Mission is to improve your health and well-being. That's evident the minute you walk through the doors of ProMedica Defiance Regional Hospital. Located about 60 miles southwest of Toledo in Defiance, Ohio, our facility was constructed in 2002 and designed to promote a healing environment. It also has state-of-the-art technology and private rooms that feel like a home away from home.
Being a community-based hospital, we also have a professional office building where you'll find many primary and specialty doctors. In addition, we're a critical-access hospital and accredited by the Joint Commission, the industry leader in setting healthcare standards. We're also an accredited Chest Pain Center and Level III trauma center.
The Respiratory Care Assistant will be competent to care for patients of all ages to include infants, children, adolescents, adult and geriatric population, dependent on the area assigned. The Respiratory Care Assistant is able to perform the skills/procedures validated by an accredited respiratory care program and approved by the state issuing the limited practice license, required by the assignment with supervision, according to regulatory standards, clinical practice guidelines, policies and procedures approved by the Medical Directors and Administration. This individual performs the duties and responsibilities outlined below as assigned, under supervision from the Respiratory Care Department leadership team and the Medical Directors of Respiratory Care. Standards of performance and skills for the areas to which the individual may be assigned must be maintained according to department policy. The individual must be committed to providing patients and families with a positive experience through compassionate care and excellent service, safely and efficiently. This individual will display professionalism at all times and maintain patient confidentiality.
1. Achieves and maintains a level of competency to perform prescribed therapeutic and diagnostic procedures within their scope of practice per business unit, in accordance to departmental competency standards, which include general care, critical care, emergency care, and diagnostic procedures, including, but not limited to, the following:
- General Care: patient identification and assessment, medical gas delivery, medication administration via nebulizers and MDI/DPI, bronchopulmonary hygiene, and hyperinflation therapy
- Critical Care: initiation, management and weaning of invasive and non-invasive ventilation; airway management and suction, including tracheostomy, endotracheal and pharyngeal; cuff and ETCO2 monitoring, intubation assist and extubation; set-up, calibration, and maintenance of arterial and central venous pressure lines
- Emergency Care: responds to rapid responses and emergency codes, as required; performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), airway management, and actively participates in patient stabilization and internal transports
- Diagnostic Care: blood sampling and analysis, specimen collection, continuous and/or noninvasive monitoring, bedside pulmonary function screens, spontaneous breathing parameters, electrocardiograms (EKG)
- Note: critical tests and values will be reported in a timely manner per Hospital Policy.
2. Safely assembles, operates and trouble shoots therapeutic and diagnostic equipment required for patient care, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Gas administration, monitoring and analyzing devices, including flow meters and regulators, blenders, cylinders and bulk systems, compressors, analyzers, and pulse oximeters
- Mechanical devices, including mechanical ventilators, manometers, gauges, spirometers and EKG machines.
- Age specific patient care equipment, including resuscitation equipment, oral and nasal airways, endotracheal and tracheal tubes
- Equipment disinfection and sterilization
3. Understands and applies Respiratory Care Clinical Practice Guidelines, to provide safe, highly efficient, and cost effective care, using evidence based best practice.
4. Assist physicians and advance level providers with invasive procedures, as needed
5. Provide educational needs of patients on disease specific process, tobacco cessation and respiratory care services provided, including instruction for home care equipment and medications.
6. Assist with clinical instruction of respiratory care, nursing, and medical students and residents, as needed. Actively participates in the orientation of new staff and contributes to the growth of others.
7. Participates in performance improvement initiatives and collaborates with other disciplines to enhance patient and employee safety.
8. Understands and acts in accordance with all Respiratory Care and Hospital Policy and Procedures for those areas assigned and is able to with minimal supervision in those areas.
9. Completes accurate patient documentation, including billing and productivity standards. Participates in creating a plan of care, evaluate achievement of identified goals, record results and communicate pertinent information to appropriate members of the health care team
10. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested, within the scope of training and educational documentation as per Limited Permit
- Education: Actively enrolled and in good standing, or a recent graduate of an accredited respiratory therapy program.
- Skills: Be able to input and retrieve computer information.
- License: Hold a current Limited Permit License to render respiratory care services by the Ohio Respiratory Care Board in the State of Ohio
- Skills: Have excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, problem solving and critical thinking skills. Be dependable, reliable and punctual in accordance with department attendance policy, including mandatory overtime and on-call rotation, as needed.
- Membership in the American Association of Respiratory Care and other professional organizations is desired. Will stay current in the practice of Respiratory Care by actively participating in continuing education and maintaining certifications and annual competencies.
ProMedica is a mission-based, not-for-profit integrated healthcare organizational headquartered in Toledo, Ohio. For more information, please visit www.promedica.org/about-promedica
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex/gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, citizenship, familial or marital status, genetics, or any other legally protected category. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a job with ProMedica, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace
My Saved Jobs
You have no saved jobs.